In the past when you wanted white teeth you would have to go to your dentist because that was the only way to get teeth whitening, usually with corrosive tooth bleach. Although bleach preparations have improved they can still be harsh. Here are a few do-it-yourself tips to help you get whiter teeth:
1. First of all the obvious one of making regular appointments for cleaning your teeth is first on the list. Many people don’t think it’s important but the best way to keep your teeth white is to get them cleaned regularly so you don’t even have to worry about whitening in the first place.
2. Make sure to brush your teeth at least twice a day. Brushing helps to prevent the build-up of plaque, which can discolour your teeth. Focusing on your teeth will help you prevent some staining of your teeth. Also make sure to rinse your mouth after eating.
3. If you smoke try to cut down as much as possible and of course it’s better for your health to stop smoking altogether as you no doubt know. Smokers have a more difficult time keeping their teeth white than non-smokers so you may have to work harder at it.
5. Coffee and tea are notorious for causing teeth staining. Make sure to sip or rinse your mouth with water while you’re drinking coffee or tea and after you’re done. Colas and wine can also cause stains on the teeth.
6. Some fruits such as strawberries are excellent tooth whiteners. Strawberries can be rubbed on the teeth or mashed up in a paste and brushed on. Leave on the teeth for five minutes. Rinse well.
7. You can use the inside of an orange peel which is also good for whitening. You can rub the peel right on your teeth. A lemon juice and salt mixture has also been found to be effective. However, make sure to rinse your mouth well after using these natural tooth whitening treatments.
8. Baking soda has long been used for dental whitening. Many types of toothpaste have baking soda in their ingredients because of its effectiveness. You can make your own baking soda whitener though. Just mix baking soda with a little salt – a good cheap teeth whitening home remedy.
9. Avoid using mouthwashes. Besides alcohol they contain other chemicals that can stain or discolour teeth. They can easily absorb through the delicate tissues under your tongue and be absorbed into your system. One well-known mouthwash was reported recently to actually discolour the teeth with brown stains.
10. Drinks a lot of water. Rinse your mouth thoroughly after every meal or snack to make sure no food residue is sticking to your teeth.
Also, try to eat a better diet with lots of raw foods – fruits and vegetables, especially crunchy ones. All of this will help give you brighter, whiter teeth with fewer cavities.